Robert Kacher Wine Dinner
Friday, Nov. 12, 2010
50 Wharf Street
Reservations are required.
No ifs, ands or buts.....a good, no a GREAT, importer is key to finding good and great wines you have never tried before.....especially wines at great prices! Bobby Kacher is one of the best importers in the business.
Bobby will be coming to Maine for one special evening at Havana South. Bobby is one of the foremost importers of wine in the United States. He's one of the best in the business. In the wine world, he's an icon.
The bulk of the wines in Bobby's portfolio are made from grapes that are farmed organically.
"The strip label indicating a bottle of wine is a Robert Kacher Selection has become as close to a guarantee of high quality as consumers are likely to find."
-Robert M. Parker Jr., The Wine Advocate
6 wines - 5 Courses paired by Havana's chef
$69.00 per person plus tax and gratuity
An evening to remember and an opportunity to meet one of the top importers of French wine.
Wines listed below. We are missing one wine and I will up-date that as soon as I know the 6th wine.
- Betrand Ambrosie Crémant de Bourgogne NV (Burgundy) $27.99 - This wine estate dates to the late 1700's. It's just north of Nuits-Saint-Georges. Family-owned and family-worked. 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay (it's a white wine). Hand-harvested grapes. Methode Champenoise. This is an elegant, tasty wine with citrus and floral aromas. It is round and smooth in the mouth with a long, clean, refreshing finish. Food pairing - great as a cocktail wine. This will also pair up nicely with a red berry dessert.
- Manciat Saint-Véran 2008 (Burgundy) $19.99 - Claude Manciat has long been recognized as one of the best winemakers in the Maconnais. Saint-Véran is in the heart of the Macon and is very close to the appellation of Pouilly-Fuissé. The vines for this wine average 47 years. Because of the age of the vines, the yield is about 35% lower than allowed in Saint-Véran, so Manciat gets great intensity of fruit (fewer grapes equals better grapes). Hand-harvested, which is rare in this region today. Aged in stainless steel and oak casks that range from new to 3rd usage. Aromas and flavors of pears and apples. Nice minerality. Spicy, creamy finish. Bobby Kacher has imported Claude and Simone's wines for over 25 years!
- André Brunel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007 (Rhône) $42.99 - Brunel is the renowned producer of the famed Les Cailloux wines. This is a blend of 75% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah. 75% of the fruit is destemmed. The Grenache is aged in large oak casks and stainless steel. The Mourvèdre and Syrah are aged in small 228-liter (300 bottle) barrels that are used once or twice.....so, this isn't oaky. This is ripe and loaded with cherry and blackberry fruit that is balanced with earth and baking spices. This is soft and supple and delicious.
- Château d'Or et de Gueules Cimel "Only Girls" Syrah 2008 (Costières-de-Nîmes) - Diane de Puymorin purchased the Domaine de la Petite Cassagne in 1998. She renamed the property after her family crest......d'Or (gold) et Gueules (red, in ancient French). This property is on the south/southeastern slopes of the Costières-de-Nîmes. The soil is rocky - the Rhône River deposited these rocks here centuries ago. "Only Girls" has the names of her daughters on the label - Chloé, Barbara, Charlotte, Clémence and Lucie. This is ripe and round and has rich tannins. A wine for meat!
The Dessert Wine:
- Mas Lavail "Maury" Grenache 2007 (Languedoc) - Nicolas Batlle (pronounced "buy") is a 5th generation winemaker and a young rockstar in Southern France! Along with his cousin, Lionel Lavail, he has created a fantastic new property. The vines are at least 80 years old. The soil is black schist (crappy soil for most things means good soil for great grapes!). Maury is a little town between the mountains of the Pyrenées and Corbières. This is a Catalan part of France. This wine oozes red fruit and cocoa and chocolate and more. This is akin to a Ruby Port. 100% Grenache Noir. Serve slightly chiiled....mid-50's. Food pairing - duck with cranberry sauce. Blue cheese. Chocolate desserts. Fruit desserts.