The Wines of
Charles Smith, Winemaker
Monday, May 14th
I'm so psyched about this that I can't stand still!
These are some of the best and truly unique wines made in the US! These wines vary from vineyard-to-vineyard - exhibiting what the French call "terroir" - wines that taste of a place!
We are hosting a tasting for idiosyncratic winemaker, Charles Smith! Charles is one of Washington state's most distinctive and best winemakers.
"K Vintners rocks with Washington Syrah."Wine Spectator
"Top ten Syrah in America."Wine and Spirits
Jancis Robinson, one of the world's most esteemed wine reviewers and writers, said this about K Vintners,
"One of the most inspiring to have come my way was K Vintners, a modest ranch in Walla Walla, Washington's most prestigious red wine region - both the Cougar Hills 2002 and The Boy 2002 are truly stunning wines with a real sense of place that California would be hard-pushed to match at 30 to 35 dollars a bottle. This 4,000-case operation opened its doors only in 2001."
Some of you may remember my first encounter with Charles. To read it, please see my "blog" entry - I just posted the e-mail I sent 2 years ago after meeting Charles for the 1st time and tasting his wines. First Encounter of a Close Kind with Charles Smith
The K Vintners Wines are made in 108-1,200 case amounts. Doug & Cat at SOPO are receiving 7-10 cases of most of these wines. That's all of them we will see in Maine! They won't last long.
The Magnificent Wine Company House Wine White 2006 $10.99 - Fabulous wine! Yummy! Tasty! Fun-to-drink! If you are moving away from Chardonnay b/c you are tired of a lot of toasted oakiness, try this! If you love the bright flavors many Chards have, try this! Just a tasty white wine! Wonderful bright green apple and pear aromas and flavors. Notes of citrus. Wonderful clean minerality. Just a vibrant, refreshing wine! Fresher, crisper and cleaner than a big oaky Chardonnay. Food pairing - Great choice as a sipping wine, with lighter seafood & shellfish, lighter poultry dishes & more!
K Vintners Kung Fu Reisling 2006 $13.99 - This is brand-new to the state and to me....I've never tried it....I'm looking forward to trying it, though!
K Vintners Viognier 2006 $22.99 - Wow! What a wine! Absolutely a killer wine! I find this just a unique and stunning wine! The only thing bigger than this winemaker's ego are the flavors and aromas in his wines! Beautiful nose of pears, flowers, orange blossoms, anise and apples. Rich and velvety in the mouth. Huge, long finish of pears and minerals. 645 cases made. Food pairing - This will absolutely be smokin' with a roasted chicken dinner or roasted pork tenderloin with root vegetables. Great with salmon - grilled smoked or baked. Awesome shellfish wine!
· The Magnificent Wine Company House Wine Red 2005 $10.99 - This is a killer wine...a STEAL at this price! Cabernet Sauvignon (54%), Merlot (30%), Syrah (11%), Malbec (3%) and Cabernet Franc (1%). Big, bodacious, silky smooth, rich, chewy, substantial, long, lingering, pleasing finish. Put away the price tag & I guarantee you'll think you're drinking a more expensive wine. Please decant - it'll open up the fruit! Loads of big berries, smokiness, leather, pepper, earthiness, meaty bacon fat. Good acidity, well-integrated tannins. Food pairing - steak, pork tenderloin, big, robust tomato sauces, and it will also just sip well on your back deck on a sunny day or in front of a fire.
· K Vintners The Beautiful Syrah 2005 - $49.99 - Charles has only made this wine once before and he only made made 108 cases of it this time around! Velvety, elegant and full of flavor! Charles says of this wine, "It is so gorgeous, it is pure crushed velvet!"
· K Vintners Cougar Hills Syrah 2005 $44.99 - Aromas of baked or stewed fruits, salty air, minerals and olives. Flavors of dark berries, raspberries, minerals and more. Powerful wine that still has elegance! This grows the more you taste it! Nicely balanced tannins and fruit on the long finish. 580 cases made.
· K Vintners Morrison Lane Syrah 2003 $45.99 - Fabulous medium-to-full bodied Syrah that reminds me of a Cote Rotie. Aromas of dark berries, black currants, meat and more. Lots of complex flavors - dark and red berries, licorice, peppery spice, some stewed fruit and cassis. Long,long finish. This should hold up well through 2012-14. Robert Parker, Wine Advocate, 93 points.
· K Vintners Milbrandt Syrah 2004 $34.99 - This is a WOW wine! This is an elegant Syrah & a POWERHOUSE! Big, huge flavors & aromas, yet smooth & soft. Aromas of dark berries, bacon fat, smoked meats, espresso, pepper, minerals and rich dark earth. Similar flavors. Well-integrated tannins. Decant this - just pour it into a pitcher or large measuring cup and pour it back into the bottle - if you don't, you'll wish, while you're drinking that last glass, that you had! This wine will make you sing! WOW! An ULTIMATE date night wine! This wine Rocks! 1,200 cases made.
· K Vintners Lucky #7 Syrah 2003 $35.99 - This is just a really nice wine! Soft. Elegant. Intense. Smooth. Complex. Big, huge flavors & aromas. Mocha, cocoa and chocolate aromas and flavors mingling with dark and red berries and herbs and peppery spice! Long, rich smooth finish. This wine shows a lot of minerality and spice. From the Seven Hills. 800 cases made. Jancis Robinson, "Truly stunning wine!"
We hope to see you Monday!